Holi Special Recipes
Holi is around the corner. This season, ChattoriAunty is planning a special Holi party with a riot of colours, water balloons, funny props, water guns, unlimited masti and of course scrumptious food. So, to tickle the taste buds of the guests, yours truly has asked a few esteemed chefs to share their favourite recipes. I am penning them down for you as well, so that you can also keep your tummy happy while getting soaked in the Holi extravaganza. Here you go:-
Chocolate and Hazelnut Gujiya by Chef Prem K Pogakula – Executive Sous Chef, The Imperial
½ kg refined flour
125 gms desi ghee
80-90 ml chilled water
300 gms Calle Baut chocolate
80 gms caster sugar
40 gms melted butter
30 gms hazelnut paste
oil for frying
– Mix flour, water and desi ghee in a bowl and make the dough.
– Mix Calle Baut chocolate, caster sugar, melted butter and hazelnut paste in a pan and let it cook till the butter gets totally absorbed.
– Keep it aside and let it cool down at room temperature.
– As soon as this mixture thickens, make round balls of the dough and stuff the mixture in dough and give a desired shape.
– Keep the gujiyas in a deep freezer for one hour before frying it on moderate heat.
Apple Jalebi by Maharaj Jodharam Choudhary – Corporate Chef, Khandani Rajdhani
300 gms sugar
01 gm kesar
250 ml water
250 ml milk
500 gms ghee
– Mix maida and curd one day before to make the batter.
– Melt sugar in water to make syrup and add milk to it.
– Cut apple into slices and keep it aside.
– Coat apple slices with the batter and fry it.
– Once fried soak it in the sugar syrup and take out and serve .
Aam Panna with Vodka by Chef Prem K Pogakula – Executive Sous Chef, The Imperial
60 ml vodka
01 green mango
200 ml water
01 tsp roasted cumin seeds
01 tsp salt
03 tsp sugar
– Boil mango in a saucepan.
– Squeeze out pulp from the boiled mango in a deep bowl.
– Add water, sugar, salt and cumin to the pulp and whisk thoroughly.
– Empty it in a glass and add vodka.
– Serve chilled.
Vodka Thandai by Niraj Ved – Mixologist, Hyatt Regency Gurgaon
60 ml vodka
45 ml thandai syrup
180 ml milk
30 ml sugar syrup
20 ml strawberry syrup
– Blend ice cubes, vodka, thandai syrup, milk and sugar syrup.
– Put some crushed ice in a glass and add strawberry syrup.
– Add the blend to the glass.
– Garnish with almond flakes and serve chilled.
Paan Ke Patte Ki Chaat by Chef Karan Talwar, Kitchen Kraft Catering Co
16-20 fresh pan leaves
1½ cups coarse gram flour
salt to taste
¼ tbsp turmeric powder
1½ tbsp red chilli powder
1½ tbsp carom seeds
01 cup yogurt
02 boiled and chopped potatoes
01 chopped onion
03 medium sweet date
04 tbsp tamarind chutney
04 tbsp green chutney
02 tsp roasted cumin powder
black salt to taste
½ cup sev
– Mix coarse gram flour, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, carom seeds and water in a bowl to make a thin batter.
– Tie yogurt in a muslin cloth and remove the excess water. Then squeeze out the yogurt in a bowl and add powdered sugar. Whisk it and keep it aside.
– Coat each leaf with batter on both sides and deep fry in hot oil till golden brown and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
– Keep potatoes, onions, fried paan leaves in a serving plate and cover it with two-three tbsp of whisked yogurt. Drizzle tamarind chutney and green chutney.
– Sprinkle cumin powder, black salt and salt. Add sev and serve.
Mattar Khasta Roll by Maharaj Jodharam Choudhary – Corporate Chef, Khandani Rajdhani
1 cup boiled peas
¾ cup grated coconut
¼ tsp red chili powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp dried mango powder
½ tsp green chilli-ginger paste
¼ tsp cumin seeds
03 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
01 cup maida
¼ cup warm water
¼ tsp baking powder
oil for frying
– Mix maida, warm water, baking powder, salt and ghee in a bowl and knead tight dough. Cover it with a damp cloth and keep it aside.
– Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds, green-chilli paste and saute. Add boiled peas and remaining spices and mix it well. Add grated coconut.
– Make round balls of the dough and stuff it with peas mixture. Seal the edges with water and give it a desired shape.
– Fry it on a medium flame until they turn golden brown.
– Serve it with green chutney and imli chutney.